By Olga M. Tomic
This ebook discusses the morpho-syntactic Balkan Sprachbund positive aspects in 9 languages during which they're so much various. It features a wealth of Balkan linguistic fabric. the point of interest is on showing similarities and alterations within the illustration of the main commonly stated Balkan Sprachbund morpho-syntactic good points and their interplay with different beneficial properties within the constitution of the DP or the sentence of person languages.
Read or Download Balkan Sprachbund Morpho-Syntactic Features (Studies in Natural Language and Linguistic Theory) PDF
Similar linguistics books
Within previous English: Essays in Honour of Bruce Mitchell supplies readers a complete perception into the realm of previous English.
Consists of a chain of unique essays written by means of favorite experts within the box in honour of the eminent Oxford pupil, Bruce Mitchell (co-author of the best-selling textbook, A consultant to outdated English, sixth version, Blackwell, 2001).
Encourages readers to interact with the literary, cultural, highbrow, spiritual and old contexts of outdated English texts.
Explores the issues students face in reading and modifying previous English texts.
Highlights the basic secondary literature for every topic.
Each of the individuals writes in a simple and authoritative type, drawing out connections among various contexts and pointing readers in the direction of the fundamental secondary literature for every subject.
This name makes a speciality of the syntactic behaviour of argument noun words counting on their discourse prestige. the most language of attention is German, however it is proven that the observations will be carried over to different languages. The declare is that discourse-new arguments stay contained in the vice president the place they're base generated.
- Armenian Language Competencies for Peace Corps Volunteers in Armenia
- Lexical Markers of Common Grounds (SiP 3), Volume 3 (Studies in Pragmatics)
- Pour une linguistique de l'énonciation. Formalisation et opérations de repérages (temps, aspects)
- Kazakh Language Course for Peace Corps Volunteers in Kazakhstan
Extra info for Balkan Sprachbund Morpho-Syntactic Features (Studies in Natural Language and Linguistic Theory)
8 It should, however, be borne in mind that the convergence involves more than a mere need for effective communication. As pointed out by Joseph (1983:249), “the need for communicative efficiency in a multi-lingual setting is not readily transferable to a feature such as the postposed definite article in Albanian, Macedonian, Bulgarian and Romanian, for there does not seem to be any obvious communicative advantage in any particular placement of the definite article”. 9 Many of the Balkan Sprachbund features are also present in non-Balkan languages.
5. 6 Balkan Sprachbund features singled out in general linguistic books A number of Balkan Sprachbund features are listed in contemporary general linguistic books. 1 Lyle Campbell, in the chapter devoted to languages in contact in his introductory book on historical linguistics (Campbell 1998), singles out six morphosyntactic “salient traits” of the Balkan linguistic area: (a) syncretism of Dative and Genitive; (b) postposed articles; (c) periphrastic future (signalled by “want” or “have” auxiliaries); (d) periphrastic 29 Lindstedt (2000a) uses “Balkan Romani” as an areal term comprising both Balkan Romani dialects proper and those Vlax Romani dialects that are spoken in the Balkan area.
In the period when the Balkan Sprachbund features were developing, Turkish was the most widely spoken language on the Balkans. Nevertheless, a relatively small number of Balkan Sprachbund features is encountered in Balkan Turkish. Partly because of its non-Indo-European structure, which makes it difficult to find correspondent exponents for the phenomena exhibited in the other languages (all of them Indo-European), and partly because of its dominant social status, Turkish was an instigator for the development of the Sprachbund, more than a participant in it.